This should scare the pants off you. A young lady's cell phone melted after it slipped under her pillow while she slept.  Ariel Toltree claims the phone overheated which caused the battery to swell and start a fire.  She said the smell of the burning phone woke her up but she "didn't think much of it," so she went back to sleep. She woke up again when "it was more prominent."

 

Samsung claims that their products are safe, but said the battery inside her phone was a replacement and not an original Samsung part. They also added that rechargeable batteries will do this if there's no airflow to keep them cool.

 

Bottom line: Don't sleep with your phone.


Watch the story:

Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com