Hurricane Florence is coming. Are you ready?
I'm a planner. Type A all the way. Nothing is more satisfying than crossing off to-do's on a checklist. With Hurricane Florence on the way, I've put together a checklist of what you need to do to be prepared. Some are obvious items, like going to the grocery store; while other items might be afterthoughts but still crucial to-do's.
- Refill prescriptions now. If you are on daily medication, make sure you have enough for 10 days at least. If you don't, head to the pharmacy now. Now would also be the time to invest in a quality safety kit. A good med kit cost about $30.
- Grocery store: Wine, dog food, cat food, bottled water, non perishable foods, milk, bread, peanut butter, wine, etc. You know what you need.
- Fill up your gas tank! Gas went up yesterday and it's going to get higher as the storm approaches. Fill up all your vehicles and gas tanks now!
- Portable Chargers & Power Packs. Invest in one of these to recharge your phone if you lose power and your phone dies. Make sure they are charged before the storm hits! Or even better, buy a portable charger that's battery powered.
- Radio. When your power is out you won't be able to watch TV. Make sure you have a battery powered radio on hand!
- Batteries. Lots of batteries and get the flashlights ready.
- Fill up your bathtubs. Use the water in the tubs to flush toilets if you lose power. You can thank me later.
- Take pictures of your home. Take pictures or videos of your house- outside and inside! In case of damage, you'll have "before" pictures to show your insurance company.
Get the latest information on Hurricane Florence here